Insomnia Sleep Counsellor
Keep reading to find out about natural remedies for insomnia and sleep difficulties.
If you need more help, book a meeting with our Surrey sleep specialist counsellor in Leatherhead or Zoom. Our Surrey insomnia counsellor will help you with the sleep disorder as well as related issues, such as anxiety, stress or grief.
What is Insomnia?
Insomnia is difficulty sleeping or staying asleep.
It is a common sleep disorder which can be caused by or trigger other mental health disorders.
What Are 9 Insomnia Symptoms?
Symptoms of insomnia include:
- Difficulty falling asleep at bedtime.
- Waking up when you want to be asleep.
- Waking up too early and unable to go back to sleep.
- Feeling tired or sleepy during the day.
- Feeling irritabile, letheragic, angry, overwhelmed or anxious.
- Difficulty focusing on things and remembering things.
- More mistakes.
- Worrying about sleeping.
- Worrying about worrying about sleeping.
Do THese 9 Things For More Insomnia
Do these things to make sleep difficulties and insomina sympoms worse:
- Eat of drink caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, etc) in the afternoon or evening.
- Drink alcohol. Passing out unconscious is mentally different to sleeping.
- Exercise strenuously in the evening.
- Sleep during the day.
- Look at books, phones, tablets or television in bed.
- Have a complex or upsetting conversations with people.
- Do exciting things in the evening – exciting computer games, television, films, etc.
- Lie in bed awake for more than 30 minutes, getting angry or worring that you’re not sleeping.
We do not recommend that you do things to make insomnia worse. It is a good time to stop it.
Do These 15 Things For Less Insomnia
- Establish a regular bedtime routine.
- Do a relaxation activity as part of the bedtime routine, such as breathing exercises (7-11; box; triangle; etc), meditation, body scans, hypnotherapy recordings, etc.
- Plan to go to bed at the same time each day.
- Plan to get up from bed at the same time each day.
- Keep a notepad and pen next to your bed. Write thoughts down. Leave them there.
- Mentally take thoughts and challenges from the day and put them outside the bedroom.
- Get sunlight for 20 minutes at the start of each day and late afternoon.
- Get regular moderate exercise, ideally in the morning.
- Make the bedroom a comfortable temperature, ideally cool.
- Keep your hands and feet warm enough.
- Make the bedroom dark.
- Make the bedroom as quiet as possible.
- Only use use your bed for activities beginning with s.
- Rub your hands or arms. Havening quickly creates deep sleep waves in your brain.
- If awake for more than around 15 minutes, get up, go to another room, do something boring, go back to bed when you feel sleepy.
Get Surrey Counselling
Help For Better Sleep
Sometimes, people need professional help for things in life. That is OK.
We are here to help.
Our insomnia specialist counsellor can:
- Discuss you current concerns about insomnia or any other matters.
- Help to release underlying stresses and tensions.
- Provide additional advice to help you deal with insomnia.
We do not provide or advise on medication for insomnia.
Contact Us For Help
We are here for you.
Simply send us a message using the form or WhatsApp below, or call us on 0800 292 2126.